THC concentrates come in many forms, but the most common form used for dabbing is a thick, waxy product often referred to as “dabs” or “wax.” Delta 8 Dabs are also sometimes referred to as “Delta 8 THC Distillate” because it is refined through a distillation process to create a pure, potent Delta-8 concentrate.
What is Dabbing?
“Dabbing” refers to the technique of vaporizing THC concentrates with a device commonly known as a “dab rig. “Generally speaking, dabbing is accomplished by using a torch lighter to heat a dab nail too high temperatures before placing a small amount of wax material on top. The high temperature will immediately vaporize the THC material so that it can be inhaled through the mouthpiece on the rig. Of course, as dabbing has grown in popularity, electric dab rigs have flooded the market. The idea is similar, but these rigs have an electric nail that heats on its own, without the need for a butane torch.
Dabbing Delta-9-THC is more common, but Delta-8-THC concentrates are slowly gaining popularity. Dabbing Delta-8 is still a new concept for many, but it may offer a unique array of benefits for recreational and medicinal users. Some people suggest that dabbing enhances Delta-8’s high and offers increased medicinal benefits compared to other dosing methods, though there’s currently no research that evaluates these claims.
Benefits of Dabbing Delta-8-THC
There are various benefits to delta-8 dabs when compared to other dosing methods. Here are a few advantages:
Dabbing Delta-8-THC is more appropriate for advanced users, and it may not be the best choice for beginners. That’s because dabbing THC concentrates results in potent, hard-hitting doses, which comes as a benefit to those with a higher Delta-8 tolerance. This “rush of effects” is what many people who prefer to dab THC seek.
Dabbing Delta-8 does make it more difficult to precisely control the dose than some other products (like pre-measured edibles). For those who need larger doses to reap Delta-8’s benefits, however, dabbing is much easier than taking multiple edible doses that may take an hour or more to kick in.
Fast Acting, Long-Lasting Effects
Unlike edibles, Dabbing Delta-8 usually results in immediate effects that peak in only a couple of minutes. The effects can last anywhere from 1-5 hours.
Since dabbing involves Delta-8-THC concentrates, it may also be a more cost-effective option for high-dose Delta-8 usage.
Because Delta-8 dabs offer highly-concentrated, pure doses of Delta-8, they are a brilliant way to reap Delta-8’s health benefits, which may be similar to the benefits associated with Delta-9-THC. You can read “Delta-8-THC Health Benefits” to learn more.
What You Need to Start Dabbing Delta-8-THC
If you’re interested in trying Delta-8 dabs, you’ll need a few things:
Supplies for Dabbing D8
- A dab rig or dab straw
- A nail is usually made of titanium or quartz. These can be either “standard” or “electric.”
- A dab tool or a small (usually metal) tool is used to portion out the Delta-8-THC concentrate and place it onto the heated nail.
- A butane torch to heat the dab nail.
- Delta-8-THC concentrate, usually in the form of wax, shatter, or oil.
How to Use Delta 8 Dabs
You have everything you need to get started, but how do you dab Delta-8-THC? Easy! Here are four simple steps to using Delta-8-THC dabs:
- Portion out a small amount of Delta-8 concentrate on your dab tool. We recommend starting with a very small dose if you’ve never dabbed before.
- Ignite the torch and hold it over the nail (unless using an electric nail, in which case you should follow the instructions provided with the nail you purchased).
- Once the nail is hot (like piping hot!) turn off the torch and set it aside. Use the dab tool to place the concentrate material onto the hot nail and inhale the vapor through the mouthpiece on your dab rig.
- Exhale slowly and wait a few minutes to feel the effects. Be sure not to touch the dab nail because it will remain hot for quite some time after each dab.
What’s the Best Delta-8 Dab Temp?
The temperature at which you vaporize cannabinoids affects how potent their effects will be. All cannabinoids have a boiling point at which they virtually disintegrate, meaning you won’t reap most of the therapeutic benefits.
The boiling point for Delta-8-THC is pretty high at 347°F. While it’s unlikely that you’ll reach (and maintain) this temperature with a standard dab rig, there is still an “optimal temperature range” for every cannabinoid in which you reap the strongest effects.
The optima Delta-8 dab temp range is estimated at 175-178ºC, which is slightly higher than the optimal temperature suggested for Delta-9-THC (157ºC).